Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Garden Upcycling Project-- Gazing Balls


In the spirit of recycling we try to use the same resourcefulness in our garden. Not only does it save our natural resources it saves us money. These gazing balls are one of our upcycling projects.


This pink ball sits on an old cement birdbath base. I measured the top and went to Michael's to buy a round glass bowl with the opening the same size as the top of my birdbath base. Then I bought 4 or 5 bottles of cheap nail polish in my favorite color and i dumped them all in the glass bowl. I swirled the polish around until the inside of the glass bowl was coated. Then I turned the bowl upside down and left it on the deck for a couple days to dry and cure. Viola my new gazing bowl in a custom color to match my impatiens.

You can also just sit the balls straight on the ground. This blue one is a thrift store light fixture I picked up for .25 then coated with blue nail polish. I have also heard that old colorful bowling balls make great gazing balls if you can pick them up for a good price. I just found a purple and a gold one. More pics to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment