Saturday, June 6, 2009

Yard sales or tag sales?

I have recently re-discovered my love of yard sales. You may know them as tag sales depending on which part of the country you're from. I don't know if I can explain to a non-convert the what it is that thrills me about sifting through other peoples junk. But I'll try..... for one thing it's like a treasure hunt. I never know when or where I'll undcover that really valuable piece that someone just doesn't realize the value of or just doesn't care what the value is. There is always a thrill when you do find those items and that can be a fairly regular occurance. This can becaome like an addiction, but in a good way!
Then there is the walk down memory lane. Every Saturday morning as I visit sale after sale I am reminded of some warm fuzzy from my past. Holly Hobbie, my grandma's china, a recipe I haven't had in years, a song my mom used to hum while she cleaned. Little snippets from my childhood and I can own them for less than a $1.00.
Add to that the bonding that seems to take place between me and my honey and you have a win, win, win situation. We not only always enjoy each others company we have now found a hobby that we enjoy doing together. Quietly in the early morning hours we arise as the birds are just beginning their predawn chorus. Almost wordlessly we put on our clothes grab a quick bite to eat and then race out the door looking forward to another Saturday of YARD SALING!

No comments:

Post a Comment